Strategic Logistics Operations Manager – Freight Brokerage
The Manager of Operations is responsible for oversight of a team of Logistics Coordinators ensuring
that all daily tasks are completed in accordance with customer-specific and/or team-specific standard operating procedures (SOP). The Operations Manager will focus on internal process improvements
that enable operation efficiencies and profitability. This role is responsible for establishing internal
team productivity metrics and holding team accountable to meeting production targets, SOP compliance and service expectations. Daily, the Operations Manager will engage the logistics staff to access current market conditions and trends to support our customer needs.
- Express a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, positive attitude that encourages customer
and employee confidence and reflects the core values of Strategic Companies.
- Provide leadership and management for the freight brokerage team and manage performance.
- Interact with the sales team to grow the business with existing customers and new business opportunities.
- Partner with the asset-based transportation and warehousing business segments to maximize overall freight capacity in the Strategic portfolio; asset-based, power-only and specialized activities.
- Collaborate with team for successful delivery of all FTL, LTL, hotshots, last mile, expedited, specialized, over-sized and international shipments.
- Lead team to ensure all shipments are traced and traced across different modes of transit
and update Strategic TMS systems accordingly.
- Educate and develop a team that has the skills necessary to provide customer solutions 24/7/365. We operate afterhours, weekends and holidays.
- Develop and maintain a process-driven operations culture to ensure exceptional service
to our customers.
- Work to establish and exceed service and operational goals for the logistics team
(efficiency, productivity, timeliness, professionalism, creativity, etc.).
- Develop interactive relationships with vendors, customers, carriers, co-workers and leadership.
- Serve as the escalation point for all operational issues.
- Partner with the Administration to establish and maintain proper carrier qualification protocols.
- Assist Finance in developing budgets and cash-flow management strategies.
- Anticipate and communicate employment needs to Human Resources to determine best plan
of action regarding staffing.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an unwavering commitment to succeed.
- Minimum of 5-10 years experience with freight brokerage operations with emphasis
on “final mile” shipments.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in management or supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (supply chain or comparable experience/education).
- Experience with transportation management systems (Mercury Gate, McLeod, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships.
- Ability to multi-task, plan and execute.
- Confident decision maker.
- Skillful critical thinker and problem solver.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with emphasis on professional phone and email etiquette.
- Team player with proven ability to excel in a team-based environment.
- Patience, flexibility and self-control in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be punctual, have good attendance and ability to manage time.
- Strong computer skills, working knowledge of MS Office: Outlook, Excel and Word.
Brokerage Logistics Coordinator
Our Logistics Coordinators work to meet the complex transportation needs of our valued
customers with experience, technology, trusted partnerships and personalized strategies. You will be involved in every element of a cargo’s journey….from pick up to delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive incoming communications from customers and carriers.
- Contact and secure carriers for available loads.
- Negotiate with carriers to ensure appropriate profit margins.
- Use technology to manage all aspects of the carrier/customer relationships; train and master our transportation management system.
- Successfully onboard new carriers with rates, contracts, insurance certificates, billing information and digitally store carrier information.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with current and prospective customers and carriers.
- Provide continuous updates to customers regarding loads in transit. Ensure all parties are informed of route changes, delays, freight concerns or any other issues, as necessary.
- Communicate efficiently with management and entire Logistics Team.
- Share “on-call” responsibilities with Logistics Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to consistently deliver exceptional customer service.
- Understand the supply chain; its common obstacles and solutions.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving ability.
- Experience with heavy haul, oversized and final mile freight.
- Organized, accurate and thorough in managing daily tasks.
- Outstanding communication, to include written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Eager to work as part of a team and ability to assist all team members as needed, collaboration is critical.
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office applications, transportation management systems, load boards, etc.
- Minimum of 1-3 years as a Logistics Coordinator with final mile experience.
1190 Eagan Industrial Road
Eagan, MN 55121